I do thank nutch developers very, very much for what they have put into
the project:)  I think the concept is great and yes it does work, if you
invest the time needed to learn the interfaces, updgrade the
distribution nightly, relearn the commands, etc. Doug's statement that
nutch is for early adopters is accurate.

Now that I have said that, I want to express my feeling that it's hard
when it takes a week to figure out that invertlinks only applies to
version 0.8. and when you ask to become a volunteer, you are met with no
response.  It's also frustrating when you share some heard earned
insights into something that nutch needs to work on, like pdf parsing,
and your comments don't get a single good response from the nutch dev
team.

Sometimes, in OS projects I get the feeling that the developers breathe
different air than users, and that our help is not wanted or that our
questions are stupid and not worth their time to answer.  I don't feel
that there is really any such thing as a stupid question, only stupid
answers.  Some users even ask questions shamefully like: "I know I am a
newbie, and my question is stupid, but here it is anyway".  I think
that's a stigma that we as the larger computer community need to steer
away from, especially if we want newbie users to become advanced users.

Nutch is nowhere near being a dead project, that is not what I said (I
said it was close, not closed), its just that I don't feel that it's
something that anyone can just download and use without running into
problems.  Problems always exist, but need to be documented correctly so
that they can be solved quickly.  I think nutch has a long way to go
before it is comparable to tomcat or httpd, which are both production
ready and have literally volumes of information on using in every manner
possible.

I am sorry if you don't like my opinion or the way it is expressed.