hi dennis:

"Nutch's original intention was as a large-scale www search engine. "
I am very agreeing with you! Dennis! nutch's goal is specificly that achives
the goal like google to process the large-scale datas! There is no doubt
that nutch will be a www search engine absolutely,but absolutely not a
vertical search !

I am confident that hadoop can process the large datas of the  www search
engine! But lucene? I am afraid of the limited size of lucene's index per
server is very little ,10G? or 30G? this is not enough for the www search
engine! IMO, this is a bottleneck!

how many pages do visvo search currently? 100 millions? or 1000 millions?

IMO ,it will be very good that moving Nutch to a top level apache project
out from under
the Lucene umbrella !

but all the sub-projects of nutch should be active enough, if not, nutch's
develop will be slow and it is no good for nutch's unity.

So the number of the sub-projects should be less !
 and  the sub-projects should be active ,efficient and also strong enough !

Good luck !