From: Yves Petinot [mailto:y...@snooth.com]
Sent: Saturday, 27 March 2010 2:21 AM
To: nutch-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Running out of disk space during segment merger

Thanks a lot for your reply, Arkadi. It's good to know that this is
indeed a known problem. With the current version, is there anything
more
one can do other than throwing a huge amount of temp disk space at each
node ? Based on my experience and given a replication factor of N,
would
a rule of thumb to reserve roughly N TB per set of 1M URLs make sense ?

-y

arkadi.kosmy...@csiro.au wrote:
Hi Yves,

Yes, what you got is a "normal" result. This issue is discussed every
few months on this list. To my mind, the segment merger is too general.
It assumes that the segments are at arbitrary stages of completion and
works on this assumption. But, this is not a common case at all.
Mostly, people just want to merge finished segments. The algorithm
could be much cheaper in this case.
Regards,

Arkadi