On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Zhou, Han <hzh...@ebay.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We posted a draft as an extension to VXLAN. Please take a look.
>
> The motivation came from our experiments on VXLAN optimization. It seems lots
> of discussions ongoing about the necessity of adding metadata to transport
> headers,
> and it is also controversial whether we should take offloading into
> consideration in
> the headers. However, our test result shows significant performance gains even
> without any help from hardware offloading. The performance of a single TCP
> session improved from 1.5 Gbits/sec to 3.5~4 Gbits/sec: more than doubled!

Hi Han,

- The mechanisms you're using are local within a host so this should
be accomplished by software API as opposed to changing the on-the-wire
protocol. The API should be generic other encaps. In the most general
case, we'd want to provide a TSO device interface to the guest and
only do the segmentation at last possible point in the stack (either
GSO from the host's physical driver, or TSO if device has support).
Most of this is supported now in Linux kernel.
- I believe this would conflict with the proposal to add a protocol
field to the VXLAN header. Overloading one field in a fixed header is
not an adequate substitute for a truly extensible header. In the best
case we could only use one or the other functionality in a given
packet. In the worse case, overloading opens the door to backwards
compatibility issues and the potential for misinterpretation of
fields.

Tom