On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Linda Dunbar <linda.dun...@huawei.com> wrote:
> When a NVE is initialized or re-started, it uses Virtual Network scoped
> instances of the IS-IS to announce all the Virtual Networks in which it is
> participating.
>

> The  current draft-dunbar-nvo3-nva-mapping-distribution-01 suggests using
> the bit map to represent the supported VNs.
>
>    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>    |     Type      |                  (1 byte)
>
>    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>    |   Length      |                  (1 byte)
>
>    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>    | RESV  |  Start VN ID          |  (2 bytes)
>
>    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>    | VNID bit-map....
>
>    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
> Figure 2. Enabled-VN TLV

Hi Linda,

First a couple of meta comments on the draft:

- Sizes of type and lengths in TLVs are inconsistent (some 16 bits,
some 32 bits). It might be just as well to make all of them 16 bits.
- For the above, I think the Start VNID field is 4 bytes not 2 bytes.
- Please avoid implicitly setting constraints on the data plane in the
definition of control plane. For instance, I've already made arguments
that VN ID might be thirty-two bits, and there's little cost to
defining thirty-two bit VN IDs in the control plane.

> For 24-bits VN ID, there could be 16million VNs. Even with the “Start VN ID”
> listed, the number of bytes for the bitmap can be very large.
>

> Therefore, I think it is better to have a flag indicating if the VNs are
> listed individually, Upper/Lower ranges, or bit mapped.

I wouldn't use a flag for that, it's probably cleaner to define
another TLV type that gives a list of VNIDs. Either the list or
bit-map can be used interchangeably.

Tom