https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/kompella/publications/infocom13.pdf

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Larry Kreeger (kreeger)
<kree...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Sunil,
>
> It seems like your question would be more appropriate for the NVO3 mailer
> than the SFC one (so I added NVO3).
>
> Note that the ideas covered in draft-chen-nvo3-load-banlancing do not seem
> to be part of the NVO3 charter, nor is it part of the NVO3 problem
> statement, nor has it been discussed on the NVO3 mailer to my knowledge.  I
> did take a look at the draft, and I am skeptical of its cost/benefit for
> implementation.

Yes, it seems like a lot of additional protocol machinery. If we
didn't have to worry about OOO packets then simply modulating the UDP
source port will allow packets in the same flow to go over different
ECMP paths. In fact, we are seeing renewed interested in this for
packet spraying in DCs. UDP encap is compelling because of the ability
source route via the source port.

https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/kompella/publications/infocom13.pdf

Tom