On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Lucy yong <lucy.y...@huawei.com> wrote:

>> "GRE-in-UDP
>> I am not really sure where this fits in for network virtualization. It
>> does not have required ecosystem support to be a viable option and
>> does not solve the need for future encapsulations."
>>
>> Counter argument is that there are many GRE applications today that
>> face load balancing issue. GRE-in-UDP encap addresses this issue.
>> NVGRE disadvantage mentioned below is addressed by GRE-in-UDP. In
>> other words, NVGRE can benefit from the gre-in-udp if it will stay long.
>
> [PG] What is the advantage of moving from NVGRE to GRE-in-UDP, as opposed to
> moving to VXLAN? VXLAN has much better ecosystem support so one would
> immediately benefit from that, no? Outside of network virtualization
> GRE-in-UDP may have use cases and I have never questioned those as I am not
> familiar with those.
> [Lucy]  VXLAN even did not allow encap of non-ethernet inner packet. -Lucy

And GRE has been around for many years, has seen considerable
deployment and operational experience, and demonstrates a HW feasible
mechanism of extensibility for a low level protocol. In the end, both
NVGRE and VXLAN suffer from the same limitation in lack of
extensibility (VXLAN more than GRE), but NVGRE over UDP seems
reasonable to at least define if there is a deployed base of NVGRE
that could benefit.

Tom