> To follow up on Pankaj’s mention of ecosystem support, one comment about the
> viability of TLVs is that whether they are a useful extension mechanism is
> mostly based on the implementer’s perception. If they are seen as an add-on
> that is not really core functionality (as in IPv4 and IPv6), then sure,
> people won’t bother to support them. However, in the case of Geneve, they
> are obviously the major goal of the protocol and they are being implemented,
> in both software and hardware.

Jesse,

Your point that TLVs are major goal of Geneve would be much stronger
if you could reference defined TLVs that are critical to the protocol
function. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any defined
TLVs for Geneve on the web at all.

As for efficient hardware implementation, section 2.2.1 of the Geneve
draft does acknowledge the problem for VLH at least:

"The use of a variable length header and options in a protocol often
raises questions about whether it is truly efficiently implementable
in hardware."

Unfortunately, the rest of the section offers no practical guidance to
HW or SW vendors on how to do efficient implementation.  The closest
thing to a mitigation for the potential performance problem is:

"As new functionality becomes sufficiently well defined to add to
endpoints, supporting options can be designed using ordering
restrictions and other techniques to ease parsing."

This is obviously vague. I suppose the ordering restrictions are the
proposed solution for the combinatorial parsing problem of TLVs. But
without details on how there is no teeth behind this idea. As for
these "other techniques"...????

> As a result, it’s not an inherent property of TLVs that they are implemented
> or not. In order to make them useful, they need to be used and considered
> important from day 1. Making them available as an additional extensibility
> mechanism pretty much guarantees that they won’t be available in the future,
> as we’ve seen.

Put the VNID into a TLV then you are guaranteed that people will implement them!

Tom