Hi Tom,
I think you refer to the proposal on how to apply RFC 8321
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8321> in IPv6 networks. Using two bits-long
field for Alternate Marking is just one option as you can find in the draft
on compact Alt.marking
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mizrahi-ippm-compact-alternate-marking-01>.
But to answer your question, there's no connection or dependency between
the Alternate Marking method and OOAM. Will note that we have documents on
the applicability of the Alternate Marking method in BIER, SFC NSH, and
Geneve.

Regards,
Greg