Doug Gochfeld wrote:

>Of doubtful origin is a Black Swan that showed up today among the 200+ Mute
>Swans. A snazzy bird, whatever its origin.

Interesting snippet. I'm inclined to believe that a single Black Swan has been
making near annual summer appearances on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay NWR
(Queens Co.) for several years (anyone know the dates exactly?). It is indeed a
'snazzy' bird, especially when it flies revealing its gleeming white primaries
and secondaries.

As Doug hints, the swan's origins are unlikely to be natural (the species is
endemic to Australasia, is considered a short-distance nomadic migrant and is
fairly common in captivity), it is interesting to note the seasonal pattern of
its arrival and the fact that the bird(s) shows no sign of captivity (bands,
clipped toes etc). Moreover, the behavior often seems more like that of a wild
bird than the placid rafts of Mute Swans that also gather on the pond in late
summer. Readers will also remember the Whooper Swan that spent a summer on the
same pond a few years back.

There is wisdom in reporting exotics like this. Many species are inherently
pleasing to look at and perhaps more importantly, these reports give us a sense
of how many individuals are wandering around the region. Escaped Black Swans
have established feral populations in several European countries as well as in
New Zealand where introduced birds have been supplemented by natural
occurrances. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that a feral population
could establish itself on our shores as well. Heads up for a posting "Two Black
Swans at Jamaica Bay"

Angus WilsonNew York City/Springshttp://www.oceanwanderers.com