Friday, 14 August, 2009 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

There were some migrants going thru &/or lingering in Central Park today although among the (at least) ten warbler species there, none that I saw were as uncommon as the Prothonotary reported from Prospect Park in Brooklyn by Scott Whittle this morning. In Central, there was a "Brewster's"-type hybrid warbler in with a couple of standard-looking Blue-winged Warblers at the n. end of the park; other migrants included a few ducks on the reservoir & lake & a few expected shorebirds, 3 Osprey going by almost all together in the morning, a Black-billed Cuckoo at the n. end, a Ruby-throated Hummingbird in the Loch, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, & at least a few Bobolinks calling as they flew low over the n. end ballfields around sunrise. Some species noted may have bred (or did) in the park this summer; my list below is not a complete list of all the species found.

Great Blue Heron
Wood Duck
Northern Shoveler
Osprey (3 headed south)