Dave Klauber, Bob Kurtz, Bobby Rossetti and I birded on the CRESLI whale
watch out of Montauk on Tuesday August 25.  The seas were calm and the birds
were good.  Highlights included 75 Cory's shearwaters, 3 greater
shearwaters, 1 manx shearwater, 210 Wilson's storm-petrels, 4 black terns, 5
red phalaropes, and 1 phalarope sp.  We also had 2 white-winged scoters off
Shagwong Point on the way in.  The red phalaropes gave nice views sitting on
the water.  The whales were spectacular.  15 fin whales and 4 minke whales
were recorded.  Several of the individuals gave extended looks at close
range.

Seth Ausubel

Forest Hills, NY