This morning David Wheeler found a juvenile BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE on Lake
Ontario off of Firt Niagara.  Shortly after I arrived to see it, he found
another.  We also had a juvenile PARASITIC JAEGER, which was chasing
Ring-billed Gulls.  A few small groups of WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS were flying
by, heading west.  With one group were two early SURF SCOTERS.  A BLACK TERN
was seen briefly with a distant flock of feeding Common Terns.  Other
fly-bys were Mallard, COMMON LOON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and two AMERICAN
WIGEON.  Few passerines of note in the park - SWAINSON'S THRUSH,
Black-and-white Warbler, and Magnolia Warbler.

DIRECTIONS: The Kittiwakes were still there when we stopped watching the
lake after 11:00.  They were consistently in the "rip" where the Niagara
River empties into Lake Ontario.  Enter the park (fee possible after 9:00
a.m.) from the Robert Moses Parkway and stay to your right.  Watch the lake
from the top of the slope just off the northeast corner of the large parking
lot.  The rip is well to the left, identified by a rougher swath of water.
The Kittiwakes were a quarter-mile or so away, identifiable with a scope.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter