Notes from (all over the northeast): looks like some major flights were recorded in some areas including (or especially) just to our south. Connecticut Warblers were reported from multiple locations in many states and interestingly, so were Mourning Warblers (which generally have peak southbound movement in our area before the more scarce species of Oporornis). Some excellent raptor flights also were noted, mainly Sat., 9/19.

Some musings on hawk migration as observed at Hook Mountain near Nyack, Rockland County below the Central Park sightings. (btw, Kyle at Hook on Sunday 9/20: you recalled correctly -& better than I- that back on Sept. 1st there had been an excellent passerine/land-bird migration 'wave' in the wooded ridges at Hook Mt., with 17 spp. of warblers on that day (9/1) & on a day that was not too busy for migrant raptors there at Hook.

Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City - Sat./Sun./Mon., 19-20-21 September, 2009

Interesting movements, with what no one characterized as really "big" numbers, although some very common migrants have been just that: common, in these last 3 days. The most traditionally well-known area of the park for bird-watching, "The Ramble" has not been the best place to observe all the migration happenings lately (& it may not be at any time, although with no doubt gets a very good variety of species, and often very intensive birder coverage at the peak times in spring & fall), while outlying areas of the park can produce a lot of interesting sightings. There have been early a.m. flyover migration (a sort of "morning flight", with the urban "sea" of concrete, glass & such taking the place of the actual sea as a barrier or "discouragement" to birds moving on) as well as migrants simply looking for better or less-populated foraging areas. The flights were observed by me on each morning with additional sightings from others (especially Sunday when I was early to Hook Mt.); a component of each flight included some icterids & American Robins also began to make an appearance in more noticeable numbers. Chimney Swifts continued to pass by (also noted in numbers at Hook Mt. Sunday) as have some passerines, some also appearing to be in more sustained flight at elevation into the first hour of light including at least some past the visible sunrise. In the woods at the north end, the thrush numbers & variety have increased with a "first" sighting (for me) of several Hermit Thrush arriving Mon. morning, while Gray-cheeked type (and probably actual Gray-cheeked), Wood, & Swainson's Thrushes were more regular. I have seen only a few Veery, as many have moved on in recent weeks, but not all are gone. A sure sign of fast approaching autumn (officially arriving Tuesday) was a single Golden-crowned Kinglet that was working a patch of lawn in the n. woods section some call the "high meadow", south of the Blockhouse. In general, it seemed Monday was slightly less active overall than Saturday or early Sunday but there were good pockets & flocks working some shrubby areas as well as moving thru some canopy in the early morning. A rather brief visit to Riverside Park's north end (110 Street & thru 120 St.) gave a hint of migrants there on Monday, both a.m. & late p.m., but I did not see any really uncommon species such as a Connecticut there again. Fairly good numbers of many common species are passing through including Red-eyed & Warbling Vireo, now-increasing Blue-headed Vireos, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole & of course, many warbler species, with a fair number of Palm & slowly increasing Yellow-rumped [Myrtle] Warblers. A new wave of sparrows & other more typical fall species is due in the coming week or so with the next cool-down.
-  -  -
Hook Mountain enjoyed a very good raptor migration over the weekend, Sat.-Sunday, 19-20 Sept. - with many enthusiastic & helpful hawk- watching visitors & "regulars" each day. The good flight of Broad- winged Hawks was somewhat anticipated on Saturday and did not disappoint, as over 2,000 were counted by D. Gustafson, with assistance from other watchers. Saturday's good results at Hook were echoed by many other watch sites in the region the same day. What was a bit more surprising on Sunday was not that more Broad-wings continued, with again over 2,000 counted (by me, with plenty of help from other hawk-watchers), but that in so far as I've found, a lot of the other watch sites in the region recorded far lower numbers that day, indeed some had only a tenth or perhaps a fifth of the Broad- winged Hawk numbers as did Hook. (on each day the coverage in hours was similar, with over 8 hours in the official watch, & at least a few observers also keeping informal watch at earlier & later times just to see what would be moving at those times of day - not much.) About the only other watches so far reporting with similar numbers of B.-w. hawks in the region look to be in PA (Buckingham) & far south near Baltimore in MD (Cromwell Valley Park) - and what was also interesting is that those two watch sites recorded the bulk of their Broad-winged numbers early on, even before noon, whereas at Hook Mt. on Sunday, the flight was rather consistently good after 11, thru about 4 p.m. with a massive "kettle" of Broad-wings seen in just 5 minutes, around 3:40 - 3:45, totaling over 500 in that short time, by far the biggest number at one interval on the day, and quite possibly of the season (at Hook)! That mass of Broad-wings was notable for its relative compactness and it was possible to put the binoculars on it to observe virtually all of the birds in one viewing. (I also got the scope on the mass & a number of people had a close look at the kettle - for a few observers this was their first experience of such a spectacle... perhaps a few new hawk enthusiasts will be added!) Anyhow, while many experienced observers know well how fickle, or alternatively rewarding the Broad-winged Hawk migration can be to try to see in our area this day stands out as a bit of a puzzle to me... I also noted that a nearby watch (farther east), Quaker Ridge - which sits very near the NY (Westchester Co.) line, inside Connecticut (near Greenwich) - reported an easterly wind in the morning thru about 2 p.m., which Hook did not have at all - contrary to some weather forecasts there was a light wind out of the north at Hook, later switching to light SW wind, not a gust from the east. (All this is just arcane to non-hawk-nuts, but to those who do like to think about how the hawk migration works each season, perhaps of some interest.) Quaker had a very good day for Broad-wings & other raptors on Saturday but relatively few on Sunday, & their reported results for Sunday were somewhat echoed by other watch sites in the region on Sunday.

We (myself & the 25 or so other hawk observers) also noted that a good percentage (perhaps one-quarter or more) of the hawks seen, including Broad-winged Hawks, were at low elevation (from 100 feet or less above the summit, with a fair percentage at or below summit level as they passed by us), even into the afternoon hours. We had sun all day, so there were certainly thermal air currents for the hawks, and there were of course many birds that did take advantage. At Hook, the Hudson River may play a significant role (?) as most, indeed virtually all, of the raptors seen there (at any time) are crossing the river as they work southwest, and it is possible that in making the wide river crossing, some raptors (especially the thermal-dependent Broad-wings) lose a lot of elevation and glide (or in some cases, use powered flight &/or favorable wind) to cross to the prominences of Hook & it's associated ridge-line, there regaining a lot of height on days with good thermal development - as was so this weekend past... it can be just a very nice place to see these "hawk dynamics".

Another question not completely answered yet is, have the Broad-wings now made their "big" move through the New England-eastern NY region yet this fall? Or will there be significant numbers yet to come... only the coming week or so will fully answer that. For those wishing to see more hawk-watch site reports, check: http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdhawk.html - along with http://hawkcount.org/index.php (nice!) & know that some sites don't post all their latest results immediately, & some may delay for a week or more. You can also use: http://birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html (Jack Siler's website) & just scroll down to "World & Elsewhere", which includes recent "Birdhawk" postings.

good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan
_________