Mt. Loretto 4 Nov

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) continued our quest for unusual geese (after
yesterday's Sunken Meadow trip) by journeying to Mt. Loretta on Staten I.  We
made a brief detour to look for the Hummingbird, stopping for 30 minutes
without success.

We went to the small Mt. Loretta Preserve parking lot on Hylan Blvd. and walked
left. There were two large flocks of Canada Geese on the lawns across the road.
The second and farthest flock from us contained two small geese. One was
clearly a CACKLING GOOSE. The second was re-confirmed, at home, from a distant
photograph taken from the road. The ID of a small goose is not so obvious as
has been noted elsewhere,

As we returned to the car just at noon, all the geese erupted, flew over to our
side of the road and into the preserve. There was a lot of activity at the
school at that point and the commotion might have spooked the birds. Five
minutes later and we would have missed them.

Sy