The Northern Shrike that I posted about on 11/7/09 is still regularly
showing up in our backyard.  This particular shrike continues to be a
fascinating bird to observe!

On 11/14/09 at 7:45 a.m. the Northern Shrike was perched at the top of the
favored winter tree, but took off and aggressively chased American Robins
from a bushy area.  It continued to follow the robins into deciduous trees.
While the shrike was perched above a robin, it flew straight up as if in a
flycatching mode, then 180-ed into a vertical dive straight down at high
speed toward the robin, which immediately took off.  Then, the shrike began
to chase Blue Jays, and eventually flew out of sight.

On 11/9/09, I spotted the Northern Shrike at the top of a deciduous tree
near the marsh behind our home.  I observed 4 Amer. Crows flying into view
(but high overhead).  I heard another bird, and briefly shifted my
binoculars.  When I looked up, there were only 3 Amer. Crows flying over and
the 4th crow was down in the bushes being attacked by the shrike!  I can't
believe I missed how the attack began - the crows were quite high, and I
have no idea how the shrike took down a crow.  There was a vicious
interaction before the crow got away and re-joined the other crows.  I found
it interesting that the other crows did not attack or mob the shrike, but
continued on as if nothing was happening.  In the BNA account for Northern
Shrikes, it states that it is virtually impossible to distinguish aggressive
shrike behavior from prey-attack behavior.

The next thing that happened was even more remarkable.  The shrike had
changed trees after chasing away the crow (closer to my location on our back
porch).  I was studying the shrike in my binoculars when I realized it was
flying directly AT ME!  (If you've ever had this situation while peering
through binoculars, it is quite bizarre!)  I put down my binoculars when I
realized what was happening.  The shrike continued to fly at me, and then
abruptly turned over my 2 wrestling dogs and around our house into the top
of a deciduous tree in our front lawn.  I assumed this must have been some
kind of strange coincidence until I checked the BNA - it states that shrikes
are territorial (not just around their nest sites, but on winter territories
also) and will attack mammals - including the heads of humans!  Wild!

I have not heard the shrike sing since my last post.

Other sightings:

11/13/09 Black Scoter on Norwood Lake (a wide section of the Raquette River)

11/8/09 Light morph Rough-legged Hawk - first of the season

House Finch - female (an unusual bird for our location)

Joan Collins

Potsdam & Long Lake