As part of our participation in the Northern Nassau CBC, we unsuccessfully
searched Long Island Sound Saturday morning in Bayville for a Barrow's
Goldeneye that has appeared in this location for a number of years. Goldeneye
numbers were low, totaling approx. sixty birds from Stehli Beach Town Park east
to Center Island Town Park. Local birders told us that the Barrow's had not
been seen yet this year.

On Friday we did a little scouting in the Cedar Beach /Oak Beach area for the
Captree CBC, scheduled for Sunday. Our best bird was a Baltimore Oriole
discovered east of the Engineer's Road at Oak Beach. With the canceling of the
count the oriole went from a count period bird to..... nothing (perhaps the
fate of the Ash-throated Flycatcher in Queen's as well). As we prepare to
shovel out our sixteen inches of snow we reflect on the birds we would have
been seeing today if the weather patterns had been kinder and hope for better
weather when the count is rescheduled.

Ken Feustel