The snow didn't start until about 2:00, and was certainly not heavy at that
point.

Steve Walter

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christina Wilkinson
  To: nysbirds-l@cornell.edu
  Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 10:53 PM
  Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] 2009 Brooklyn Christmas Bird Count preliminary
results

  It sounds like the Brooklyn team had a wonderful Christmas Bird Count this
year with some interesting species noted.

  I looked at the results from past CBCs and this seems to have been the first
year that the count was conducted in heavy snow.  Surprisingly, the species
count seemed not to be affected by the snowstorm; about the same number were
seen this year as compared to previous years.

  Christina Wilkinson

  > Subject : [nysbirds-l] 2009 Brooklyn Christmas Bird Count preliminary
results
  > Date : Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:27:00 EST
  > From : prosb...@aol.com
  > To : NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu, eb...@cornell.edu
  >

  >The preliminary results --subject to compiler's review -- of the December
  >19th Brooklyn CBC totaled 123 species
  >
  >Noted hi lights include American Bittern, Black-legged Kittiwake ( Breezy
  >Point), Black-headed Gull ( Owls head),Lesser-blacked Backed Gull,Laughing
  >Gull;Great Egret; Common Eider, Black Scoter, Common
  >Merganser;Red-shouldered Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk; 4 owl species:Great Horned
Owl, Long-eared
  >Owl ,Short-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl; Wilson's Snipe; Killdeer;
  >Clapper Rail; Wrens: Winter and Marsh; rare or unseasonal warblers :
  >Orange-crowned, Wilson's, Ovenbird, Black-throated Green Warbler ( Spring
  >Creek;documented w/photos), Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrow, White-crowned
  >Sparrow,Eastern Meadowlark, Rusty Blackbird ( Prospect Park);a complete list
is attached
  >at the memo's end.
  >
  >Thanks to head compiler Rick Cech, assisting dinner compiler Paul Keim,
  >Heidi Steiner- Nanz for teams organization, Mary Eyster for dinner set-up ,
  >and the many volunteers who help conduct the count in the field or assisted
  >in the dinner setup at the Prospect Park Audubon Center, to whom we are
  >grateful for their hospitality in hosting our CBC dinner.
  >
  >This Brooklyn CBC was the 100th count conducted by Brooklyn Bird Club
  >members and the supporting birding community both here in Brooklyn and New
York