From: bounce-4977222-3714...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-4977222-3714...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of John Gluth
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:25 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L-for posts
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Belmont Lake: White-fronted & Cackling geese; W. Babylon
Eurasian Wigeon - YES; Connetquot Tundra Swan - NO

Only 2 of the previously reported 7 Greater White-fronted Geese were seen at
Belmont Lake State Park between 7:20 and ~9:00 this morning by myself and
several other birders. Also seen was a single Cackling Goose, also likely the
previously reported individual. Other notable species among the hundreds of
Canada Geese were Hooded Merganser, Wood Duck (~10), Common Merganser,
Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck, American Coot, and Pied-billed Grebe, all but the
first 2 species listed present in low single digit numbers

At Santapogue Creek in West Babylon I was lucky enough to relocate the drake
Eurasian Wigeon originally found during the Captree CBC a week ago. It was
Loafing on a small island ~100 yards south of Montauk Highway, best viewed from
the southwest corner of the shopping center immediately east of the creek.
There is a gap in the phragmites near an old plywood sign there. I got a brief
(5 second) binocular view while it was shorebound, but then it and several
other ducks nearby took flight and headed downstream when I backed off to set
up my scope. I got a quick look at the bird in flight as well. A search of the
creek from several vantage points on the way to the Great South Bay came up
empty. I did find a Greater Yellowlegs near the mouth of the creek and a small
raft of Greater Scaup out on the bay. Other Finds along the creek included
20-25 N. Shovelers and 1 Belted Kingfisher.

Heading east, I next stopped at Capri Lake, where I counted 65 Redhead and good
numbers of Hooded Mergansers, though less than I've seen during recent winters.

At Connetquot River State Park the previously reported Tundra Swan was not
found, perhaps driven away entirely by the 20 or so Mute Swans that were there,
or at least off the main lake which is the only place I checked.
There were 10 Canvasbacks present, as well as ~80 Common Mergansers and 4
Lesser Scaup. Two Fox Sparrows fed among numerous White-throats under the pines
across from the park offices.

This e-mail message and any attachments are intended only for the named
recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information due to its nature
as trade secret, security sensitive, pursuant to contract or other regards. If
dissemination or copying of this e-mail and/or any attachment(s) is strictly
attachment(s) from your system.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as
incomplete, or contain viruses. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. GPI accepts no liability for any
damage caused by errors, omissions or delays arising from the transmission
process or any virus contained in this email. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of GPI and/or any of its affiliates.