Hi, John.  Yours is a very reasonable question, so I thought I should chime
in and explain my postings.

The general view on advertising pelagics, as compared to other tours, is
that they are of particular interest to state birders, plus they are very
hard (or at least very expensive) to do on your own.  A trip to Borneo might
be of interest to some birders in New York, but it's not New York birding.
Trips to Montauk are popular among NY birders, but it's easy to do that trip
on your own.

When I started to run pelagic trips, I requested permission to post them
from the list owners from each state list whose pelagic waters I'd be in.
If any of the list owners felt that this was not reason enough to allow
posting, I would not.  For example, the Pennsylvania list-server is run on
National Audubon servers.  They have a very strict non-advertisement
policy.  Although they don't have pelagic waters, pelagic trips are of
interest to PA birders, but the list owner politely denied my request.  No
problem.

FYI, back when I made my request, the list owner in New York asked that I
limit myself to two posts per trip.  Although my memory ain't what it used
to be, I've tried to stick to that.

-PAG

--
Paul A. Guris