I worked for two summers for Wallkill River NWR which oversees the Shawangunk
Grasslands NWR and several times I saw illegal activity happening while doing
work up at SG.  Unless rules have changed there are no vehicles allowed in the
refuge except for refuge vehicles.  They do not give keys to the public unless
they are volunteers, which i highly doubt this person was.  Unfortunately they
are not able to patrol the refuge as much as they'd like because of the
distance between the two.  What i would recommend doing is for birders to take
down license plate numbers and to contact the refuge manager with the plate
number and hopefully they can do something about it.   This is what I do
anytime I see something illegal.

Andrew

Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Field Biologist & Eco-tour Leader
37 Tanglewylde Avenue
Bronxville, Westchester Co., New York 10708-3131
Phone: (914) 337-1229; Cell: (914) 886-5124; Fax: (914) 771-8036

"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another
heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again..." - William
Beebe, first Curator of Birds, Bronx Zoo

"Crikey! Have a look at that!" - Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter

"Just like the white winged dove sings a song, sounds like she's singing whoo,
baby....whoo...said whoo" - Stephanie L. Nicks, Edge of 17, Bella Donna