Apologies for accidentally sending an incomplete message.

I started today with an hour's sea-watch at Montauk Point and worked
westward. Strong wind and choppy waters made viewing conditions difficult in
many places.

RAZORBILLS continue to be fairly abundant at Montauk Point.  Between 7:00
and 7:30, I focussed on counting Razorbills, and counted 83, all flying to
the right, and almost all well beyond the (rather distant) scoter flock.  I
saw a few other flocks of 7-8 while scanniing elsewhere after that time. I
saw only 1 NORTHERN GANNET and no Kittiwakes.

At Camp Hero, 12 PURPLE SANDPIPERS occupied one small rock, fluttering above
breaking waves. At Culloden Point, the large number (>100) of COMMON EIDER
was notable; likewise later at Shinnecock Inlet, where a flock of at least
300 was in the bay. Several people have remarked that this species has been
largely restricted to ocean sites in past years, but has spread abundantly
into bays this winter. GRAY CATBIRDS were seen at two sites near Montauk
Point. A pair of WILD TURKEYS were near Montauk Highway in snowy woods,
about a mile west of the Point. At Ditch Plains (where tide was too high to
walk the beach for a good view of rocks and possible Eiders), a sign of
spring: a GREAT CORMORANT with nuptial flank patches. The "resident" LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL was on the rocks in the southwest sector of Fort Pond
Bay.. Along Dune Road immediately east of Mecox Bay, an immature
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW and three SWAMP SPARROWS. (I note these and other
species that are often viewed as "half-hardy," since their survival through
winter may be of interest.) My final stop was in Eastport, where a male
REDHEAD and about 48 CANVASBACK were on the pond, while directly across the
highway, an actively feeding WILSON'S SNIPE provided  a close study.

Doug Futuyma
Stony Brook, NY