Today, Betsy Potter and I led the B.O.S. Lake Ontario Plain field trip to
eastern Niagara and western Orleans Counties.  We had some really nice
birds, highlighted by the BARNACLE GOOSE in the Town of Hartland (see my
other post about this bird).  We had great views of alternate plumaged
RED-NECKED AND HORNED GREBES, with hundreds of the former and probably close
to 100 of the latter.  Other waterfowl on the lake included RED-THROATED
LOONS, WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS, LONG-TAILED DUCKS, GOLDENEYES, GREATER SCAUP,
RED-BREASTED MERGS (the most abundant duck), NORTHERN PINTAILS, AMERICAN
WIGEONS, MALLARDS, BLACK DUCKS.  In various fields, we found RING-NECKED
DUCKS, PINTAILS, WIGEONS, GREEN-WINGED TEALS, BLACK DUCKS, and MALLARDS.
There was also a slow stream of raptors migrating along the lake, with
RED-SHOULDERED, RED-TAILED, ROUGH-LEGGED, COOPER'S, SHARP-SHINNED, NORTHERN
HARRIER, AMERICAN KESTREL, and TURKEY VULTURE all tallied.  In addition on
Rt 18, one mile east of Countyline Road, we had an immature PEREGRINE
FALCON.  The Peregrine perched atop the same tree that we found a Gyrfalcon
on many years ago!  At this latter spot, we also had two blue-morph SNOW
GEESE and one CACKLING GOOSE.

Our one gull highlight was provided by David Gordon, who refused to let my
call of Great Black-backed Gull go without a better look.  He got that look,
as did the rest of us, and it was a nice alternate-plumaged adult LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL.  Way to go, Dave!

A BELTED KINGFISHER, a couple of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, and an EASTERN
MEADOWLARK were new for the spring for most people in the group.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter