I took advantage of this gorgeous day and went over to Sunken Meadow State
Park(Suffolk County) this morning.  I birded from 8:00am-12:00pm on the Inner
Marsh trail, down near the Golf Course, to the backwaters of Sunken Meadow
Creek.  The best bird seen was a very early White-eyed Vireo in the expansive
thickets about three quarters of a mile down the trail.  He was actively
foraging in and out of the thickets.  Waterfowl were quite plentiful today with
15 species recorded, the best being a drake Canvasback, 2 Lesser Scaup, 7
Northern Shovelers, 27 Green-winged Teal, 12 Wood ducks, 9 Hooded Mergansers,
and 11 Common Mergansers(still lingering).  The full bird list from today is
below.

Great Blue Heron- 8
Great Egret- 1
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Wood duck- 12
Green-winged Teal- 27
American Black ducks
Mallards
Northern Shoveler-7
Gadwall
American Wigeon- 2
Canvasback- single drake on Sunken Meadow Creek
Lesser Scaup- 2
Ring-necked Duck- 20
Bufflehead- 8
Hooded Merganser- 9
Common Merganser- 11
Osprey- 6
Sharp-shinned Hawk- 1
Red-tailed Hawk- 1
Killdeer-1
American Coot- 2
Great-horned Owl- 1
Belted Kingfisher
5 species of Woodpecker including a male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Eastern Phoebe- 3
Tree Swallows- 24+
Fish Crows
White-eyed Vireo- 1 very early bird
Yellow-rumped warblers
Golden-crowned Kinglets
Gray Catbird- 1
Eastern Towhee- 3
Song, White-throated, and Swamp sparrows

Vinny Pellegrino
www.flickr.com/pellegrinov
East Northport, NY

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've
imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau