I headed out to Plum Beach this morning to bird low tide in the dense fog. The
fog was so thick that standing on the beach I could barely see the outer edge
of the flats, and could see virtually none of the water.
Shorebirds at Plum were: 13 Dunlin (including a couple already undergoing a
pre-alternate molt, with some black on their bellies), 14 American
Oystercatchers (10 of which came in off the water together), 2 Black-bellied
Plovers, and 1 Greater Yellowlegs. A Horned Grebe just off the tip was in
almost full breeding plumage, 2 Laughing Gulls flew by, and the 2 Pine Warblers
in the dune scrub were nice. There was a definite movement of Great Egrets as
well, as I tallied 8 (7 flew by and kept going), and considering the lack of
visibility in all directions that's a decent number.
The most notable sighting may have been 2 Horseshoe Crabs up on the beach.

At Floyd Bennett Field there was a fair amount of activity in the North 40,
although nothing in the least bit unusual. Return-A-Gift Pond held 2
Green-winged Teals (American), 3 Northern Shovelers, and 4 Black-crowned Night
Herons. A Ring-necked Pheasant vocalized twice from north of the Cricket Field
(which held a flock of ~100 mixed Cowbirds and Red-winged Blackbirds). There
was also  a Laughing Gull in the runway puddles, and I flushed up a Wilson's
Snipe from the edge of the Cricket Field. On the bay the only thing of note was
a flyby Willet.

On my way home I saw a partially leucistic American Crow flying over Ocean
Avenue a couple of miles south of Prospect Park. I've never seen one in this
area, so keep your eyes out if you're around there. It's a neat looking bird.

Good Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.