Date: Friday, 30 April 2010 (8:35a-6:40p)
Location: Clove Lakes & High Rock Parks plus Goethal's Bridge Pond area
Observers: Catherine Barron & Dave Eib in the a.m. at Clove Lakes Park
Reported by: Ben Cacace

Today I was hoping to better the 55 species seen last week and almost made a
mistake by heading to High Rock Park where I added only 2 species. This is a
beautiful park and has nicely laid out trails but I didn't hit any hot spots
and will need to find out how to bird this park. The walk up Nevada Ave. was
a treat as it's steepness isn't matched by anything I know of on Manhattan.

My life PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was first found by Catherine. As I was nearby
she called me over and we found the bird again feeding over the stream just
north of Martlings Ave. near the red bridge in Clove Lakes Park.

Also in Clove Lakes Park was a LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH along the stream just
north of the stone bridge near the north end of the park. While carrying my
scope I glassed a plain faced thrush in my bins and immediately placed the
scope down ... on a slope. Focusing on finding the bird I heard the scope
thump to the ground. Luckily it fell on soil. It appears to not have
suffered at all from the drop. The thrush turned out to be my first of
season VEERY. Another was spotted in High Rock Park. The scope is a Pentax
80mm.

Two ORCHARD ORIOLES were spotted while searching for the Prothonotary. The
first was a 1st summer male and the second an adult male. A GREAT CRESTED
FLYCATCHER was also seen while searching for the warbler.

A pair of PECTORAL SANDPIPERS continue on Goethal's Bridge Pond. They appear
to enjoy feeding near the shopping cart reef that is always visible at low
tide. Also on the pond were 16+ GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER, 2
KILLDEER, 6+ SNOWY EGRETS & 8 pair of GREEN-WINGED TEAL.

The SAVANNAH SPARROW at Goethal's Home trailer park was good to see. It was
feeding on grass seeds on a lawn at the north end of the A-B line of houses.
It eventually flew to the phragmites as I was leaving. I was able to scope
this bird and was offered a close-by binocular view in the phrags.

Google Maps detail of NW corner of Staten Island. I added a tides icon (fish
with hook) with 4 choices: http://tinyurl.com/25q86xh

Transportation: M15 bus to ferry, ferry to S.I., S48 bus to Clove Lakes
Park, S54 to High Rock Park, S57 & S48 to Goethal's Bridge Pond, S40 to
ferry, ferry to Manhattan, M15 back home.