Out at Montauk (Suffolk Co.), Sunday's SW winds brought cold air in off the
ocean and it became increasingly foggy as the day went on. Visible landbird
migrations seemed significantly reduced compared to Saturday but there was
evidently some settling in of local breeders. For example, Wood Thrush could
be heard singing in Camp Hero and both Baltimore Oriole and Great Crested
Flycatcher were making themselves heard in Springs. During a short seawatch
from the Point I noted my first *MANX SHEARWATER* of the year and picked up
3 *WHIMBREL* that emerged from the fog bank over Block Island Sound before
heading due NNW towards Connecticut. Several hundred sterna terns were
following a similar track to and from some feeding spot SE of the Point but
the visibility was too poor to reliably differentiate Common from Roseate.
Judging from the vector, I would guess these are from large colony on Great
Gull Island. Small numbers of all three scoter and Common Eider remain and
both Common and Red-throated Loons were very numerous. The 3 *HARLEQUIN
DUCKS* from Saturday were still on the rocks in Turtle Cove. Two adult
*WHITE-CROWNED
SPARROWS* were in the parking lot next to the old toilet block and a *MERLIN
* was hunting over center of Montauk Village.

At Napeague, an immature *BALD EAGLE* coarsed over the Walking Dunes and was
joined by 6 Turkey Vultures that seemed to be working their way west. The
vultures seem to baulk at crossing the few yards of water at the top of the
harbor and chose the southern route instead. During a long hike up the east
side I flushed a *NELSON'S SHARP-TAILED SPARROW*. The bird wasn't very
cooperative but immediately struck me a rich orange-colored Ammodramus. I
stood as still as the viscous mosquitoes would allow and eventually the
sparrow paused in the open long enough for me to view the solid orange wash
across the upper breast and throat, with only faint light brown streaking.

--
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA