From: Austin Mohr <mohr_aus...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Tallman Mtn. Statepark - Prothonotary Warbler
To: "NYS Birds" <NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Sunday, May 2, 2010, 3:19 PM

I birded Tallman Mtn. Statepark (in the town of Orangetown, nearby
Piermont) this morning/early afternoon between 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM.
I saw and heard a nice variety of transient songbirds, amongst
which the excellent highlight was a Prothonotary Warbler.  It was the first
time I've seen the species at this location.
At the intersection of route 9W and Rockland Road in Orangetown, NY, there is a
prominent sign indicating Tallman Mtn. State Park.  Turn here and follow the
road a short distance to the park, which is on the right.  Turn into the park,
and continue to the parking lot on the right.  Walk east just a short
distance from the parking lot along the paved road (which winds a bit) to a
circle with two paved roads branching off of it, one of which heads east and
down toward Piermont Marsh, the other,  (with a "Do Not Enter"sign for
vehicles) heads up and toward the north.  Walk up this "Do Not Enter" road.
The Prothonotary was approximately 200 yards further north on the right
(east) side of this road, (about 100 yards before the bend) actively
foraging and singing between the understory and mid-level of the forest.

Austin Mohr
Edgewater, NJ
mohr underscore austin at yahoo dot com