At exactly 11:10 a.m. today, as I was observing the American White Pelican
at its usual spot, it flew out over the bay.  It circled, rising on the
thermals to about 500 feet.  It then made a beeline toward the
south-southeast, and was gone.  The thought is that the bird leaves the spot
north of the East Pond on the high tide, so maybe it will be back later.

Also, I noticed that the bird's left eye appears infected or otherwise
damaged.  Does anyone have good photos of this?

Seth Ausubel

Forest Hills, NY