Long-billed Dowitcher adults arrived on the East Pond today (or at least this
was the first day I've noticed any), and there were multiples no less.
Semipalmated Plovers and Northern Waterthrushes were also arpund in numbers for
the first time.
The American White Pelican was roosting on the East Pond early on, but then
vanished, presumably to its normal North Channel spot.

Highlights from this morning on the East Pond @ Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
(High Tide was ~7:15 AM):
Hudsonian Godwit- 1 (Moving a lot: First feeding on the east side of the pond
south of the Island, then moved to its recently normal spot on the west side,
before disappearing from there, apparently to the south end)
Wilson's Phalarope- 1 (The basic plumaged individual from yesterday, feding
along the east side of the pond towards the north end in various places)
Long-billed Dowitcher- 9 (!!) (Adults, including 6 in one Dowitcher flock at
one point)
Short-billed Dowitcher- 1,696
Western Sandpiper- 3 (Adults)
Semipalmated Sandpiper- 1,761
Least Sandpiper- 154
Pectoral Sandpiper- 4
Stilt Sandpiper- 17
Lesser Yellowlegs- 198
Greater Yellowlegs- 22
Semipalmated Plover- 30 (arrived in numbers overnight, most were towards the
north end)
American Oystercatcher- 5 (including the chick on the Island)
Willet- 1 (molting adult)
Killdeer- 1
Spotted Sandpiper- 5

American White Pelican- 1
Black Tern- 1 (continuing fresh juvenile)
Northern Waterthrush- 4
Boat-tailed Grackle- 107
Green-winged Teal- 7
Snowy Egret- 63+
Glossy Ibis- 72+
Little Blue Heron- 4
Ring-billed Gull- Plenty, but notable in that the first East Pond juvenile
(that I've noticed at least) of the season appeared.

As usual, when attempting to bird the East Pond, knee-high waders are
recommended for best (or most comfortable, at least) results.

Good Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.