Wednesday, 28 July, 2010 - Changes to North American Bird Check-list
of the American Ornithological Union (A.O.U.)

Many subscribers to this list are probably 'on top' of these
developments in North American bird taxonomy and nomenclature - but
for those not, and/or with interest in some of the ways the changes
are discussed:

There are others who may write eloquently on these changes which will
affect how many "life" birds a lot of North American birders count in
their personal listings.  The changes also involve re-namings and a
little shuffling of the taxonomic cards.  Those who have traveled a
bit more might get a few lifers from these new changes - perhaps
without even getting up off the proverbial old couch!

Here are thoughts from just one rather well-traveled bird tour leader
and writer... I have no affiliation with that company nor this writer
other than the pleasure of meeting in the field.
http://birdaz.com/blog/2010/07/28/the-fifty-first-supplement-to-the-aou-check-list/#comments

I''m a member of the American Birding Association, but again have no $
stake in their group [#1]:
http://birding.typepad.com/peeps/2010/07/latest-news-from-the-aou.html

Another take (again I've not a penny invested with this business):
(scroll to *MISCELLANEA* in the web page for the relevant topic)

from the "EarBirding blog, lots of discussions about this taxonomy:
http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/1837
http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/2259

and from Birder's World mag. (I wrote an unpaid article for them):
http://bit.ly/b6MJ4C

"Sources" of these:
http://www.aou.org/

Below is actual copy in PDF file format that can be downloaded. It is
the complete 19 page treatise from "The Auk", Volume 127, pages 726 -
744 inclusive, unedited and as supplied. (I take no responsibility for
the file):
http://ptoomey.com/MOB_Montana/AOU%2051st%20NA%20Supplement.pdf

(A tip of the hat to David Mark, writing on the Genesee Birds list)

-     -     -     -     -      -
A few thoughts on the birds that move on in July - NOT all are sea &
shore birds... here are some musings and observations from a Cornell-
area birder which give a local sense (central New York state) to the
notion:
Lately, a LOT of birds have been moving - MANY are "land" birds.

-     -     -
different topic  (sort of)- there are Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
reported from Maine, & Ontario (Canada), and New Jersey (Cape May),
and there are Scissor-tailed Flycatchers reported in Massachusetts and
New Jersey (yes, Cape May NJ again... after a mid_July report of a
Scissor-tailed from northern NJ).  There are many other interesting
mid-summer wanderers and we can all be on the lookout, from shores to
meadows!

[#1]: as a non-profit org. ABA membership is tax-deduct., so can't be
construed as an "investment" in the "bird biz".  I'm a traveling
birder, spend more on bird-finding than I do on 96" TV monitors. Not
quite shocking.

Birds & more birds!

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan