Rich,

Congratulations and thank you for sharing the exciting news. As you point
out, this is the first time Mississippi Kite will have been documented
successfully nesting in New York State, and one of only a handful of
examples in the northeast. The presence of three adult/subadults is
particularly interesting. If I recall correctly, most if not all of the
sightings at the beginning of the season involved just one or two birds. I
find it hard to believe a wandering individual would have somehow found this
pair and joined in for the last stage of chick rearing and instead favor the
idea that one of the three would have been incubating on the nest and thus
hidden out of sight. Scrutiny of photos from various days to see if three
different birds can be distinguished might be able to address this
speculation directly. Also, is it known from the literature whether the
'helper' kites are most often related to the adults they help? If so, this
would suggest the senior pair produced a chick in a previous year.

Interesting food for thought and discussion. Keep the reports coming. We are
anxious to know how the fledgling fares and whether there are any more.

--
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA