Some readers might recall recent efforts by various observers to nail down a
tally for the Marbled Godwits in the Cupsogue, Suffolk County, area. This
afternoon, Andy Guthrie, Patricia Lindsay and I counted zero at Pikes Beach,
then six on the northeast peak of the main flats at Cupsogue, then one on the
“pelican bar” to the west. Looking northeastward from our vantage above the
last site, we saw plenty of godwits remaining on the main flats. In fact, by
the time we sorted them out, we had tallied nine Marbled and a tight flock of
twelve Hudsonian Godwits there, as well as the one Marbled on the bar below us!

We scrambled to get down onto the flats as quickly as we could, but by the time
we got there, the Hudsonians had departed. A tenth Marbled was now present on
the main flats—probably the one from the pelican bar, as that bird was no
longer there a few minutes later. When we checked Pikes a little later, no
godwits were present.

The weather throughout our visit was very unsettled, with occasional light rain
and an easterly breeze. During our initial stop at Pikes, we had been impressed
by a fly-over flock of 40+ Lesser Yellowlegs plus at least one Stilt Sandpiper.
We remarked on the improbability that these panne and pool aficionados would
tarry for long on Cupsogue’s sandy flats, but welcomed them as an indication
that shorebirds were on the move.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

Think green before you print this email.