From: bounce-6196267-11143...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-6196267-11143...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of John Gluth
[jgl...@optonline.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:24 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L-for posts
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Monk Parakeets at Cow Harbor Park (Freeport, Nassau Co.)

After earlier (12:30-4:20), unremarkable visits to Jones Beach west end
and Oceanside (no Buff-breasted Sandpiper or Avocet), I paid a visit to
Cow Harbor Park in Freeport ~4:30 to look for shorebirds on the pond and
marsh. The latter had low numbers of common species (Black-bellied and
Semipalmated Plovers, Greater Yellowlegs, Semi and Least sandpipers, and
S-b Dowitcher, all widely scattered in the shallower pools. The pond
harbored a substantial gathering of both white egrets, a few night-herons
(both species), several Glossy Ibis and 2 Green-winged Teal. Shorebird
numbers were modest and composed of the aforementioned species with the
following additions-- White-rumped Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs (1 each).
The highlight of the visit wasn't a waterbird though. On my way to the
pond I heard a couple shrill, rolling vocalizations--very psittacine-like.
>From among the bevy of Tree swallow swarming overhead a pair of larger,
long-tailed birds emerged and landed in a small tree between the parking
lot and tennis courts. Before I was able to close enough ground on the tree
both birds lit out, again calling. Silhouetted against the gray sky little
of the bird's plumage color or pattern could be perceived. But based on
perceived size, and more importantly the additional calling, I could tell
they were MONK PARAKEETS. The birds flew out of sight toward the residential
area to the north. Anyone know if there are any established colonies in
the area?

Think green before you print this email.