I intended to run my binocular across the dark, overcast sky one last
time before closing the day's count at Chestnut Ridge Hawkwatch,
located just outside of Mount Kisco.  Instead, under a very light
westerly wind at 15:59 (EST), I came away with a cluster of birds due
east of the watch platform flying only a few hundred feet above the
ridge tops.  For just a second, I assumed it was a late day movement
of Broad-winged Hawk piling up in a thermal; after I shook myself from
my late-day stupor, I could see plainly that it was a veritable kettle
of Common Nighthawk!  46 of them.  Within minutes these birds began
heading north, streaming out in twos and threes until they were
nowhere to be seen.

At 16:11, I spied at least 20 more nighthawk southeast of the watch
platform blinking out of the haze at the reaches of visibility near
the Long Island Sound.  I could not tell which direction they were
headed, nor was I able to count all of them before they disappeared
from view.

At 16:27, two nighthawk passed along a similar flight line as the
first larger kettle.  These were the final birds I observed before I
finally went home at 17:00.  Including the individual I observed late
AM, the total for today is at least 69 Common Nighthawk.  An exciting
cap to a trying day!

My colleague, Tait Johansson, had observed a flock of 19 nighthawks
south of the platform on August 17 at ~17:30, spotting another
individual north of the platform around the same time.  We see
nighthawks each year at Chestnut Ridge in early fall, and I regret
that the timing of our coverage probably does not account for the
actual number of nighthawk that travel within viewing distance of the
platform.

\\ Arthur

--
Arthur W. Green <awgr...@bedfordaudubon.org>