Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

Friday, 27 August 2010 (6:50 - 9:20 a.m.)

I spent over an hour at the Great Hill, specifically the area where on
Thursday 8/26 I found a Grasshopper Sparrow, as well as Lincoln's
Sparrow.  Early this Friday morning I was unable to re-find the
Grasshopper but did see Lincoln's again, in the same area, as well as
a Chipping Sparrow. The area in general had fairly good migrant
activity with at least a dozen warbler spp. & 4 Vireo species: my
first Blue-headed of the fall in Central, plus Yellow-throated &
Warbling & (multiple) Red-eyed Vireos. A Scarlet Tanager was also
there today and a modest number of Veery in the woods. There was also
a single Ruby-crowned Kinglet, my first of fall in NYC.  Flycatchers
included Great Crested, multiple Empidonax, E. Wood-Pewees, & E.
Kingbirds.

At the Ramble, the maintenance field area was quite good in just a
short look around 8:15 - 8:30 am, with a dozen warbler spp. including
a few different species from those seen earlier, & as I passed thru
the Ramble a keen birder & Central Park regular mentioned a burst of
early migrants in Strawberry Fields which flock then dispersed to
"parts unknown", something which may have been seen there on Thursday
as well.  A list of the eighteen warbler species I encountered this
morning (not all in one area & taking in the Ramble as well as the
north end of the park) is below.  Again, these & other migrants were
in rather discrete smallish flocks (and not distributed all through
some places which can be productive); this has been usual so far this
fall & may be the usual for a long time to come... unless we see a big
'fall-out', perhaps weather-related.

Blue-winged Warbler (1)
Tennessee Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler (2)
Northern Parula (2)
Yellow Warbler (1)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (5+)
Magnolia Warbler (18+)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (3)
Black-throated Green Warbler (2)
Blackburnian Warbler (2)
Prairie Warbler (1)
Black-and-white Warbler (8+)
American Redstart (25+)
Ovenbird (4)
Northern Waterthrush (5+)
Common Yellowthroat (7+)
Wilson's Warbler (1)
Canada Warbler (5+)

I might add that I cam across no other birders in the north end early
this morning, and not many at all in the Ramble & vicinity a bit
later... but migrant birds are out there now in any case.

Good luck,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan