30 August

Joe Giunta, Sam Jannazzo, Pat Jones and I (Sy Schiff) arrived at Floyd Bennett
Field adjacent to the cricket field about 9:10 and found the previously
reported shorebirds on the field, but no Baird's Sandpiper. The latter was in a
rain puddle at the end of the runway on the other side of the red barrier.
(Thanks Rob).

After observing the single BAIRD'S SANDPIPER via scope (didn't want to spook
it), we proceeded to Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge and the south end of the East
Pond. The water is high and walking north along the east side requires footwear
to accommodate mud/water between 5 and 7 inches deep. However, the very south
end is passable with only a little mud.

>From that vantage point, we saw SEMIPALMATED, WESTERN, LEAST, WHITE-RUMPED AND
>STILT SANDPIPERS, both YELLOWLEGS, the COMMON MOORHEN and NORTHERN
>WATERTHRUSH.  BLUE-WINGED TEAL  were seen walking north and both DOWITCHERS
>were  past the raunt.  Shorebird numbers were way down due to lack of suitable
>habitat.

Sy