I went out early this morning to confirm what I already knew: the storm was a flop in terms of birds. I visited Georgica, Sagaponack and Mecox Bay in eastern Suffolk Co. The highlight was undoubtedly bumping into Shai Mitra and Pat Lindsay. The most interesting bird was a lone PECTORAL SANDPIPER at Mecox, and a SORA that had been found dead by Marilee Foster at her farm in Sagaponack. Vicki Bustamante found an AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER at the Deep Hollow Ranch in Montauk.

As I watched the radar last night, I could see that the storm veered east. As a result the winds began from the northeast (not the east that had been predicted) and never got higher than 25mph at Montauk (highest sustained winds were in the teens overnight). The storm was so anemic that it actually enlarged the beaches along the south shore. Better luck next time.

Hugh

Hugh McGuinness
The Ross School
18 Goodfriend Drive