Today I did a two-hour morning flight survey at Robert Moses SP, southwestern
Suffolk Co., with help from Pat Lindsay and Brent Bomkamp and his dad.

Winds were straight out of the west, which is not conducive to nocturnal
migration, but we saw a fair amount of activity among diurnal migrants.

As usual, almost everything was flying west down the beach. Notable species
included:

6 Green-winged Teal flying due north at 6:30
2-3 Whimbrels--one heading west at 7:15 and two heading east at 7:30
1 imm Red-headed Woodpecker
37 Eastern Kingbirds
35 Cedar Waxwings
1 Dickcissel
117 Bobolinks
6 Baltimore Orioles (plus others raiding the chokeberries)
2 Purple Finches (plus two more hanging around)

Among birds not making directed movements were 5 RB Nuts, 2 Western Palm
Warblers, Prairie Warbler, Least Flycatcher, Veery, and Northern Gannet.

We heard through Ken Feustel that Bob Paxton saw a Lark Sparrow yesterday near
the entrance to the four-wheel drive road (= western turn-around of parkway).

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

Think green before you print this email.