There were a few new arrivals at Sunken Meadow State Park this morning.  My
hike, from 8:10am-10:30am, started at the dirt lot located at the northwest
corner of the abandoned Field 2.  There was a small flock of 7 White-throated
Sparrows with an adult White-crowned Sparrow in the mix.  Other sparrows
observed were several Song and a few Chipping.  On Tuesday there was a
Lincoln's
sparrow reported from this location by Ken Fuestel.  A Cooper's Hawk was
patrolling the area.  One Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was flying from tree to tree
as was a Red-breasted Nuthatch.  Purple Finches were on the move this morning.
I had one flock of 16 flyover heading west, another flock of at least 30 birds
little while later, and finally about 20 birds gorging themselves on
chokecherries along the park road.  Also along the park road were 1 Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, 1 Empidonax flycatcher sp, several Eastern Phoebes, and Eastern
Wood-Pewees.

The Inner Marsh trail had my first-of-the-seasonBrown Creepers(2 birds), 1
Nashville warbler among 7 warbler species, a Marsh Wren(actually seen very well
perched on phragmites), 1Swamp Sparrow, 1 Spotted Sandpiper flyby,
2Green-winged
Teal, 19+Wood Ducks, 1 White-eyed Vireo, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk that was
actively chasing 5 or so Blue Jays back and forth across the stream.

Next I headed to Field 3 where there were 3 Chimney Swift flyovers, 1 Osprey,
American Black Ducks, and a single Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've
imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau