Coming soon after a sighting from Savannah N.Y., this Maine Gray
Kingbird is of interest:
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds/browse_thread/thread/4524cb204d7da84a#
-   -   -
Today, Sunday Oct. 31, while counting raptors at Hook Mt. in Rockland
County (with views of the Hudson River and south to Nyack, the nearest
town), I noticed a bird in flight that only very briefly appeared just
east of the summit where the Hook Mt. hawk-watch is conducted - the
bird appeared to be a Martin species. I have very recently (only a few
weeks ago) had the opportunity to study several S. American species as
well as wintering Purple Martins and this bird did not look quite like
any of those, which included Gray-breasted and Brown-chested. I would
only speculate that this bird could have been of a 'Caribbean' form or
species, but unfortunately the bird did not reappear up around the
summit of the mountain. The observation came in mid-afternnoon. There
were no other martin or swallows seen. For those curious the area
where I studied 3 martin spp. not long ago was Amazonian Brazil. The
raptors were flying nicely today and it was also a fairly good day for
waterbird migration, over the river.

1 Short-eared Owl was observed earlier, near the Piermont marsh also
along the Hudson in Rockland Co. - that seen around sunrise.
-   -   -
"at the Public Library: Little Yellow Bird" (NY Times - Prothonotary
piece)
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/library-warbler-barron/?hp

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,