We birded West End this morning (Saturday), first attempting to do a walking
loop from WE2 down to the TR Nature Center and back. The tide was high and
ocean water was washing over the beach into the low lying areas in the back
dunes, so we were unable to complete the loop. We walked back to WE2 marina
where we observed the continuing Marbled Godwit, along with two Western
Willets, one Ruddy Turnstone, and thirty-five Red Knot. The passerine flight
was not particularly impressive but there were some sizable flocks of
Red-winged Blackbirds going by. At Field 6, Jones Beach we found an adult
Lesser Black-backed Gull and a sizable concentration of Scoters (mostly Black)
that we estimated at about 700 birds. In the Zach's Bay picnic area (opposite
Field 6 on the north side of the Ocean Parkway) we kicked up a spiffy-looking
Lark Sparrow at about 1:00PM.

Ken & Sue Feustel