The COMMON GROUND DOVE at Captree State Park (Suffolk Co.), which was
elusive for much of today, made a very nice showing from at least 3:00pm to
3:30pm, which coincided with my arrival. The bird, which often appeared
skittish, was flushed several times but traveled between the following three
locations where it actively fed: 1. at the green buoy just west of the toll
gate, 2. along the roadway to the boat launch and 3. on the cement path tom
the south parking lot just south of the traffic circle at the entrance. Many
birders got to see it--at least 20 were gathered when I left. It is a lovely
individual, showing quite a bit of structural (iridescent) coloration in the
wing coverts and on the neck.

Hugh

--
Hugh McGuinness