I had a female type cowbird at my feeder yesterday that wasn't the typical
female brown-headed.  I watched it for about 15 minutes at my window feeder and
just automatically said brown-headed female and didn't take a photo.  Now I
wish
I had.  It occurred to me last night while parusing my birds books that this
bird may not have been a female brown-headed.  It had a a dull, dark chocolate
brown body, dark eye, medium length tail, and medium lengthed pointed bill.
The
overall look was of a very dark pudgy bird.  I didn't notice an obvious ruff
but
that may have been from the age or posture of it.  I've seen bronzed that
didn't
look like they have a ruff.  After looking in my Sibley and other books it
looked like the eastern female Bronzed Cowbird.  The photo in Jaramillo & Burke
of the juvenile looks almost identical to what I saw but the silouette looks
more like Sibley's adult eastern female.  As far as I can tell there are no
plumages that look like the bird I saw in Brown-headed Cowbird.  Has anyone
seen
a female brown-headed that looks like this?

Andrew
Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist/Wildlife Biologist
37 Tanglewylde Avenue
Bronxville, Westchester Co., New York 10708-3131
Phone: 914-337-1229; Fax: 914-771-8036