Hi all,

Today, Drew Panko, Trudy Battaly and I headed down to Jones Beach for some
birding.  We stopped first at the Coast Guard Station, where a lone RED
CROSSBILL flew over, heading west.  Some Pine Siskins and Purple Finches
also flew over.  When checking the sandbar, among the 75 or so American
Oystercatchers and scattered Bonaparte's Gulls was a single WILLET and a
young BLACK-HEADED GULL.  After watching it for 10-15 minutes, it eventually
flew off to the middle of the bay to the west.  There were also 2
White-winged Scoters and 1 Black Scoter int he bay.  Little else was moving
around the Coast Guard Station.  In the swale by the West End 2 parking lot
were a group of ~30 Tree Swallows resting and foraging.  At the Theodore
Roosevelt Center, we also found the NORTHERN SHRIKE close to the beginning
of the boardwalk.

After birding West End, we headed to check Captree for the Common Ground
Dove, which we could not find.  We searched the north end of the south
parking lot and the area near the green bouy/toll booths.

A quick check of the ocean from the Fire Island Hawk Watch platform held
some Northern Gannets and many Bonaparte's Gulls streaming to the west.

Good Birding,

Shawn Billerman