From: Angus Wilson <oceanwander...@gmail.com>
To: NYSBIRDS-L <NYSBIRDS-L@CORNELL.EDU>
Cc: Shaibal Mitra <shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu>; "Burke, Tom"
<tom.bu...@rsmi.com>; Hugh McGuinness <hmcguinn...@ross.org>; Christopher Wood
<pinic...@gmail.com>; Andy Guthrie <guthr...@gmail.com>; Kevin McGowan
<k...@cornell.edu>
Sent: Wed, December 1, 2010 10:36:52 AM
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Identity of Jones Beach Shrike

It seems appropriate to throw one more bird into the discussion mix; a shrike
that I found on 31 Oct 2010 in the Theodore Roosevelt County Park in Montauk
(Suffolk Co.), a few hundred yards from a Brewer's Blackbird. If I recall
correctly, this was shortly after the discovery of the Jones Beach shrike, and
perhaps the only other shrike seen on Long Island during the fall/winter season
(so far). Unfortunately the Montauk bird did not linger beyond the one day. It
also gave the impression of being small and was harassed relentlessly by a pair
of Northern Mockingbirds, making photography difficult. I still have to sit
down
and look carefully at it relative to the Northern/Loggerhead discussion, but
thought other independent opinions would be helpful. Here is a link to the best
photos I obtained.

http://picasaweb.google.com/oceanwanderers/SouthForkLongIslandNY?authkey=Gv1sRgCOa3ua3EuLjJ3wE#

--
Angus Wilson