I have only seen this bird at a great distance through a scope, but if you look
at Phil Jeffrey's second photo and size it "Large":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil-jeffrey/5198713688/sizes/l/in/photostream/

it may be just how the feathers are arranged, but doesn't it look like there's
some faint brownish or grayish barring on the small part of the back you can
see?  Which, if that's not an illusion, I gather from Keven McGowan's review
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/loggerhd.htm
would point to a young Loggerhead.

Anyone get any high-resolution closeups of more of its back?

Tait Johansson

Katonah