12/8/10 Colton-Potsdam-Madrid-Waddington-Louisville-Massena (St. Lawrence
Co.)

I had to travel from Long Lake to Potsdam today, and Mary Beth Warburton and
I met to go birding in the morning.  On my way to Potsdam, a light-morph
Rough-legged Hawk flew over me in Colton.  Also in Colton, at the bridge
over the Raquette River, an adult Bald Eagle was spotted on the ice about 15
feet from a Canada Goose that was in obvious distress.  The feathers were
sticking up on the goose (indicating it had been attacked) and it appeared
to be stuck in the ice.  After I turned around again, and passed this
location, the goose was walking (but appeared unable to fly with its
feathers sticking straight up) and the eagle was perched in a dead snag
looking down at the goose.  I suspect I know what the outcome was for the
goose.  Also at this location in Colton, a large flock of ~600 Snow Geese
flew over.

Mary Beth and I drove the Regan Rd.-Route 11- Pleasant Valley Rd.-May Rd.
loop in Potsdam and found over 40 Bohemian Waxwings along May Road.  (This
is an area that has Bohemian Waxwings every winter - as I've posted in the
past, as many as 700 observed at one time.)  In Madrid, on Rutherford Road,
we found a Northern Shrike.  The beautiful conifer forest along this road
was completely clear-cut over the past year (very disturbing).  On Planty
Road, we found a male Hooded Merganser.  In Waddington, on County Route 44,
we found another Northern Shrike and a light-morph Rough-legged Hawk.  At
Wilson Hill, we found an adult Bald Eagle, a solo Ring-necked Duck, 3 Mute
Swans, and 2 Snow Buntings.  At Robert Moses State Park, we found many
Common Mergansers, a Red-tailed Hawk, 7 Snow Buntings, 10 Cedar Waxwings and
a Herring Gull that appeared intent on trying to drown Common Mergansers (I
can find no reference to this behavior in the BNA account for Herring Gull).
At Hawkins Point, we found Common Goldeneye, Great Black-backed Gulls, Amer.
Black Ducks (& many Mallards) and a scaup sp. pair.  Common Ravens, Amer.
Tree Sparrows, and Dark-eyed Juncos were also observed.  Throughout the day,
thousands of Canada Geese were observed heading south.

The ice-over of many large lakes in the Adirondacks came on very quickly in
the past few days.

12/7/10 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

A large flock of Evening Grosbeaks (~40) continue to visit our feeders each
day and stay throughout the a.m.  At 11:30 a.m. I heard a bird hit our
screen.  I was on the phone and didn't race to the window since it didn't
sound too bad.  After I made my way to the window, I found a Northern Shrike
perched on a branch outside the window!

12/5/10 Mountaineer Trail along Massawepie Lake (St. Lawrence Co.)

On Sunday, I hiked 2.6 miles round-trip on the Mountaineer Trail in a world
of white.  I found it remarkable that I could drive to this trailhead on
December 5th (the road is not plowed).  I counted 210 Snow Geese, but those
were just the birds I could see from within the forest - I heard flocks
throughout the hike that I could not see.  A Common Loon was observed on the
lake that was quickly icing over.  During my hike, the loon vocalized, and I
realized it was probably the last time I would hear that sound until April.
It was too windy to hear Black-backed Woodpeckers, but I did find a Hairy
Woodpecker, Brown Creeper, and Golden-crowned Kinglets (no Red-breasted
Nuthatches, which seem to have vacated the forests of the North Country this
fall - I haven't heard one in weeks).

On the drive home, an adult Bald Eagle was observed along the causeway in
Tupper Lake - perched between Simon Pond and the Raquette River.  At the
south end of Tupper Lake, 5 female Hooded Mergansers were observed.  (I had
to travel to Tupper Lake on 12/6, and the area that held the Hooded
Mergansers was completely iced over.)

Joan Collins

Long Lake (Hamilton County)