I wish to clear up some misconceptions in my friend, John Haas's, recent
post.

  > The article infers that an established breeding population must exist
before the species will be accepted by NYSARC.

The article John refers to is "Guidelines for the Admission of Exotic
Species to the New York State Checklist", available at this link:
http://www.nybirds.org/KBsearch/y2007v57n1/y2007v57n1p9-11nysarc.pdf.  While
John's statement above (after the right arrow) is true, he goes on to imply
that the statement means that there must be an established breeding
population within NY.  The reason for this misinterpretation is unclear to
me but, in any case, it is patently NOT true.  Eurasian Collared-Dove is an
example of an exotic species that NY has accepted based upon established
breeding populations in other States.  The article above states, on Kingbird
p. 9 :
"... the admission of a particular exotic species to the New York State
Checklist depends further on either the presence of established populations
within the state, or on the natural occurrence within the state of
individuals
derived from an established population elsewhere."
And, on Kingbird p. 11:
"Established populations of exotic species in neighboring states will be
regarded
as potential sources of natural dispersants or vagrants to New York State.
Such
records may be accepted by NYSARC if they are judged to be derived from the
established source rather than a non-established population or recently
released
captive birds."

  > There could be much discussion about this species, but one thing that is
clear from our records is that naturally occurring migrants and vagrants
have been arriving from the Ontario population for many years.  Some of
these birds have remained to start their own breeding populations, which if
I read correctly, are on the verge of being established in New York in their
own right.

For the most part, there is little evidence to suggest that birds from
Ontario have remained to nest in NY.  If anyone has any evidence of that
being the case, we would appreciate hearing about it.  The NY breeding
population does not seem to be on the verge on becoming established in NY.
There are essentially two breeding areas - one in the Perch River WMA in
Jefferson County and one in Wayne County.  For several years only one or two
long-lived pairs have bred in the Perch River area and it is unclear if any
cygnets have lived to fledging (the young sometimes have deformities).  The
origin of these swans is unknown.  There are a few nests in Wayne County
every year but few young birds have been documented to survive to fledging.
These swans are derived from a private reserve in this county, which has
breeding Trumpeter Swans.  The young and most breeding pairs at the reserve
are not pinioned.  These breeding swans are not from the Ontario population.

  > Ontario has met the criteria to declare the  species as established and
has considered it thus since 2007.  I would be interested to know if there
are other instances when NYSARC has not accepted another state, province or
country's decision on whether or not a species is established.

NY has written guidelines for accepting exotic species onto the checklist -
see the link above - which are clearly different than the criteria used by
the Ontario Bird Records Committee.  To repeat what Andy Guthrie has already
pointed out, it is true that Ontario has accepted Trumpeter Swan on their
list based upon their opinion that the population there is self-sustaining
but in the opinion of NYSARC, it is not clear that there has been a
long-enough period of self-sufficient breeding success to consider such a
long-lived species truly established.  Trumpeter Swans can live for 20-30
years, so many of the wild born birds are most likely still only first or
second generation.  The existing population in Ontario has been supplemented
by continued introductions until as recently as 2006, and a large portion of
the population has been sustained in winter by supplemental feeding
programs.  It's not clear how well the population will thrive without these
human interventions.

I cannot answer John's implied question above but perhaps more salient is
that NY is not the only records committee that does not consider Trumpeter
Swan to be established outside of the west - New Jersey and Florida are two
others.

Good birding,
Willie D'Anna, NYSARC