Sam Janazzo observed a (living) Dovekie in Jones Inlet this morning. The bird
proceeded over to the WE2 Boat Basin where it crawled up on the sandbar and
expired. The large gulls were attracted to the bird before its demise and
picked at it, with the Dovekie (and Sam Janazzo) putting up a spirited defense.
By the time Sue and I got to the boat basin in response to Sam's call the
Dovekie had given up the ghost. This is a count period bird for the Southern
Nassau CBC (SNCBC). Since the boat basin is in the area Sue and I cover for the
SNCBC, we can only wonder where this bird was two days ago when the CBC was in
progress. I noted that coastal New England recorded a fair number of Dovekies,
apparently related to the December 26th coastal storm. Perhaps there are other
birds around. Has anyone checked the Timber Point Boat Basin in Great River?

Ken Feustel